Today on Food with Friends, I invited one of my oldest friends over to show me her skills! Hibah and I have known each other for years, but her prowess in the kitchen may or may not match her skills on the tennis court. Tune in to our video where we make the ultimate stovetop mac and cheese together!
The Ultimate Stovetop Mac and Cheese
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1 pound cavatappi
- 6 cups heavy cream
- 2 pounds sharp yellow cheddar cheese grated
- 4 ounces Velveeta cubed
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup pretzels
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and assertively salt. Add pasta and cook 2 minutes shy of package directions. Drain pasta and reserve.
- While pasta is cooking, add pretzels to a small food processor and blitz until ¼ inch pieces are left, along with some finer crumbs. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the pot used to boil pasta, add heavy cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a hard simmer and allow to reduce for 6-8 minutes, or until the heavy cream coats the back of a spoon and a line stays when a finger is drawn through it. Add reserved pasta and cook in sauce for 2-3 minutes, or until the pasta absorbs some of the cream and the sauce has slightly thickened.
- While pasta is cooking in sauce, preheat oven to broil. Then reserve 1 cup of cheddar cheese and add to pretzels. Toss gently to combine.
- Once sauce and pasta have married, slowly add handfuls of cheese, stirring until fully combined. After all cheese has melted, pour into 9×13 pan and top with pretzel and cheese mixture. Place under the broiler and broil until the cheese is browned and bubbly, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.