Today I teach my friend and barber, Refi, how to make the world’s largest chocolate chip cookie! These cookies use Sarah Kieffer’s pan banging technique to create ripples throughout the cookie, creating and gooey center and crisp, buttery edges. Get ready for a cookie bigger than the size of your face!
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- Flaky salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 4 sheet pans with aluminum foil, dull side up. If you don’t have 4 sheet pans, line as many as you have and plan to bake the cookies in batches.
- Place butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, swirling occasionally, until butter solids are dark brown and liquid is caramel brown, 8-10 minutes. Immediately remove from the heat and transfer to a wide, shallow heat proof pan or dish. Place in freezer to cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Once butter has chilled, add it and sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and mix on medium-high speed until lightened and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of bowl, then add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, and beat for 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Scrape down sides of bowl once more, then add dry ingredients, and mix at low speed until just a few streaks of flour remain. Add in the chocolate chunks and mix until just combined.
- Form the dough into 5, 225g (about ½ cup) balls. Place 2 balls an equal distance apart on a prepared pan and transfer to the freezer for 15 minutes before baking.
- Place the first chilled pan in the oven, and place a new pan in the freezer to chill. Bake cookies for 10 minutes, until puffed in the center. Remove pan from oven and bang pan firmly onto a heatproof surface 4-5 times, until cookies spread and form a few circular wrinkles around the edges. Place back in oven, bake for another 2-3 minutes, until centers have puffed again, then repeat pan banging process. Repeat entire process two more times, for a total of 18 to 20 minutes, until the cookies have spread out, edges are golden brown and centers are underbaked.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire rack directly to cool completely.
- While cookies cool, repeat process with remaining dough until all cookies are baked.
© 2023 Eitan Bernath Productions, LLC.