Pommes Aligot are a perfect example of a dish that you eat with your eyes first! It originated in the mountainous region of Southern France and is traditionally made with Tomme de Laguiole or Tomme d’Auvergne cheese. My version uses two cheeses that are much easier to find in an American grocery store: Gruyere for rich, nutty flavor and fresh mozzarella for moisture and maximum stretch! This method requires some elbow grease, but otherwise, you’ll see that the technique is dead simple. Nothing is more mouthwatering on your Thanksgiving table than a giant scoop of mashed potatoes so packed with cheese that they stretch and pull like a pot of cheese fondue!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes about 2 pounds, washed, peeled and cut into quarters
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup 1 stick salted butter
- 1 garlic clove minced or microplaned
- 10 ounces Gruyere shredded
- 10 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large pot, add potatoes and enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Place over high heat and add enough salt so the water tastes like the ocean. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a light boil and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Five minutes before the potatoes are done, add cream, butter and garlic to a small sauce pot over low heat. Do not allow the mixture to boil, but instead warm completely through and melt the butter.
- Once potatoes are fully cooked, drain potatoes and add back to the pot. Over low heat, lightly cook the potatoes until the outside is chalky, about 1 minute. Then using a ricer or the second largest holes on a box grater, rice potatoes into a bowl, then transfer back into the same pot they were cooked in.
- Add half of the warmed cream mixture to potatoes and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Then add remainder of the cream and stir again to combine. Next, add small handfuls of Gruyere and mozzarella to the potatoes, stirring thoroughly to melt the cheese and release the starch from the potatoes. Repeat until all of the cheese has been incorporated and the mixture stretches like fondue. If you have difficulty with the cheese melting, turn the heat to low while adding cheese. This process will take 3-5 minutes.
- Once the cheese is fully incorporated, serve pommes aligot immediately, or keep warm in a slow cooker on the lowest setting until ready to serve.