Happy Thanksgiving! Even though Thanksgiving is going to be different this year, that doesn’t mean we can’t all enjoy food just as delicious as every other year. These Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes With Herb Brown Butter are hands down the best way to use potatoes in the kitchen. (Sorry not sorry French fries!) The Mashed potatoes are ultra creamy and have a deep flavor from the roasted garlic and a nice herby note from the thyme, rosemary, and sage. You can skip the browned butter, if you want, but they take the mashed potatoes to a whole new level of flavor!
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes With Herb Browned Butter
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 stick butter + ½ stick butter, divided
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 leaves sage
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut off the top of the bulbs of garlic, exposing the top of the cloves. Place the garlic in the middle of a large sheet of tinfoil. Top with a generous sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Close the tinfoil but pinching it together at the top. Place in the oven and roast for 1 hour, until golden brown and soft.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in the chopped potatoes and cook until it is soft when poked with a fork. Put the potatoes through a ricer or food mill into a large bowl. In a small pot, heat the heavy cream, one stick of butter, two sprigs of thyme, two sprigs of rosemary, and two sage leaves until warm. Slowly add in the warm mixture into the potatoes while mixing with a large whisk or wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then transfer to a large serving bowl.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining ½ sticks of butter. Add in the remaining thyme, rosemary, and sage. Fry for 2-3 minutes until the butter is browned. It will smell butter and have a deep brown color when ready. Spoon the browned butter and fried herbs over the potatoes and serve immediately.
© 2023 Eitan Bernath Productions, LLC.