Pretzel Dogs are the perfect combination of a chewy pretzel and juicy hot dog! When made homemade they smell (and taste) just as good, if not better, than what you smell when walking in a mall. To be honest, I am not a big fan of hotdogs but when done right, like in these Pretzel Dogs, they are downright delicious! I’ve partnered with Red Star Yeast using their Platinum Yeast to get the perfect pretzel texture and rise of the dough. I love Platinum Yeast by Red Star because not only does it take the guess work out of baking but it also has natural dough improvers that enhance whatever you are baking!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package Platinum Yeast from Red Star
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Vegetable oil for pan
- 10 cups water
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 16 hot dogs
- 2 large egg yolks beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- ¼ cup everything bagel seasoning
- ½ cup mustard
- In the bowl of a large stand mixer, combine the water and sugar until dissolved then sprinkle the Platinum Yeast from Red Star on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour, olive oil, and salt to the bowl. Knead using the dough hook attachment until it comes together. Increase the speed and knead for 4-5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm spot for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Farengight. Bring 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil in a large pot.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide into 16 evenly sized pieces. Roll into ropes, then roll each rope around a hot dog.
- Place the pretzels into the boiling water one at a time for 30 seconds each. Remove them from the water using a large spatula then transfer to a baking sheet. Brush each pretzel dog with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the everything bagel seasoning. Bake until dark golden brown, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving with mustard.