Last week I made a batch of Homemade-ish Ice Cream and today i’m taking it and making Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches! There is nothing that symbolizes summer more than an ice cream sandwich. As a little kid we’d always go down to the park to get “chipwiches,” as they were called, from the ice cream truck parked just outside the park. I’ve recreated my chilhood favorite and it’s even better than the packaged kind!
- 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- 1 batch of Homemade-ish Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 batch of Homemade-ish Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
- 1 batch of Homemade-ish Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup pretzels, chopped
- 3/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and egg until fully combined. Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt into the mixer and mix until just combined. Pour in the chocolate chips and mix until fully incorporated.
- Take the dough and divide it into 2 tablespoon balls and place them onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet two inches apart. Roll into balls with your hands. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on the edges and top.
- Cool the cookies for one minute on the cookie sheets then transfer them onto a cooling rack.
- Place the cookies in the freezer to cool while preparing the ice cream.
- Scoop out three scoops of each ice cream flavor and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Pop the sheet in the freezer to cool down for 20 minutes.
- Place the mini chocolate chips, pretzels, and pistachios in separate bowls. Dip the sides of each sandwich into the bowls to coat the edges. Pair the peanut butter chocolate ice cream with the mini chocolate chips, the dulce de leche with the pretzels, and the strawberry with the pistachios. Serve immediately or place on a sheet pan in the freezer until ready to eat.