- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packets Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- 4 cups all purpose flour + More for dusting
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix together the warm water and sugar until fully dissolved. Sprinkle the Red Star Active Dry Yeast over the water and allow to proof for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt until fully combined. Add the yeast mixture and yogurt to the bowl then mix it all together with a wooden spoon, until it begins to form a ball of dough. Transfer the dough onto your work surface and knead with your hands until smooth. Pour the oil onto the ball of dough then knead for an additional 5 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise, covered, for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Rip off a 2-inch ball from the dough, place it on a lightly floured surface, top it with some of the chopped garlic, then roll it out until it’s about ¼ inch thick. Once rolled out, flip the naan onto its back and brush it with water.
- Heat up a large frying pan or ‘tawa” (it can not have a nonstick coating) on a high flame, until it is very hot. Transfer the naan to the hot pan, water side down. Let the naan cook for 30-45 seconds, then flip the pan upside down (it should stick to the pan) and cook it in the direct flame for about 1-2 minutes, checking every few seconds to ensure even cooking and browning.
- Once cooked, remove the naan from the pan with a spatula then brush with melted butter and top with chopped cilantro.