I love meringues! There is just something about them that makes my sweet tooth go crazy. I have many memories of my mom making meringues for Shabbos. She used the method of heating the oven to 400 then leaving the meringues in the oven over night with the oven off. It made them like little light airy clouds. I use a different cooking method. But both work fine.
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 drops red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl with an electric beater on high until frothy. Once frothy, add cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form. Next add sugar slowly into the bowl while beating. (About 1 tablespoon at a time) Once you add all the sugar continue beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in extract and food color until well blended. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a star tip with the meringue mixture. Pipe out small cookies. You can have fun and make your own designs.
- Bake the meringues for 45 minutes. Turn oven off. Let meringues stand in oven 1 hour or until completely cooled.