Today Food with Friends does brunch! I invited my friend Aria over to show me one of the classic menu items—Eggs Benedict. After she walks me through her best version, I show her my own!
For the Eggs Benedict
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 slices Canadian bacon (I used turkey bacon)
- 1 English muffin, toasted
For the Hollandaise Sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup butter, melted (I used plant based)
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch kosher salt
For the Poached Egg
- Bring a medium pot of water to a simmer, then reduce heat until it is barely simmering, about 180-190°F. Break the egg into a small bowl, then add to a fine mesh strainer. Carefully shake the strainer, allowing looser egg whites to fall free.
- Gently tip egg into water and swirl gently with a wooden spoon for 10 seconds, just until egg begins to set. Cook, swirling occasionally, until egg whites are fully set but yolks are still soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully lift eggs from pot with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl until ready to serve.
For Canadian Bacon
- In a small skillet over medium high heat, add oil and heat for 1-2 minutes. Once oil is shimmering, add Canadian bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and lightly crisp. Flip and repeat on the other side. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
For the Hollandaise
- In a medium saucepot, add 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to barely simmering.
- In a heatproof bowl that fits snugly over the saucepot, add egg yolks and lemon juice. Whisk vigorously until mixture is doubled in volume and pale yellow.
- Place bowl over simmering water, add cayenne and salt and continue to whisk vigorously. Be sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl, or come above a bare simmer. (If water becomes to hot, remove bowl from double boiler and whisk off and on the heat.)
- Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume. Remove from heat, cover and place in a warm spot until ready to serve. If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.
- Place English muffin halves on a plate and add 1 slice of Canadian bacon per muffin. Top each half with a poached egg and hollandaise. Serve immediately.
© 2023 Eitan Bernath Productions, LLC.