After Noah’s last time on the show, I had to bring him back. This time for a Southern classic—chicken and waffles! Let me tell you his version of it was just as interesting as you could have guessed. Check out my recipe down below!
Chicken and Waffles
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
For the Waffles
- 2 cups all purpose flour 277 grams
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter melted (I used plant based)
- 2 cups milk I used plant based
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Dredge
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk I used plant based yogurt, thinned with a bit of plant based milk
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Kosher salt to taste
- Butter I used plant based
- Maple syrup
- Hot sauce
For the Waffles
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Heat waffle iron.
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a big bowl. Add sugar and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Separate yolks from whites. Set whites aside. Mix together yolks, milk, butter and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients. Beat whites to soft peaks, fold into batter.
- Pour 1 cup of batter into waffle iron and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the steam stops pouring out of waffle iron. Transfer to a sheet tray or plate and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat until all batter has been used. Keep warm while making chicken.
For the Fried Chicken
- Combine all dredging dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl, add buttermilk or plant alternate buttermilk. Then, drizzle 3 tablespoons of buttermilk into dry ingredients. Work the buttermilk into the dry mixture until large, craggy shapes form. Set both bowls aside.
- Add 2-3 inches of oil in a Dutch oven or deep pot over medium heat and heat to 400°F. Line a sheet tray with paper towels and set aside.
- Remove chicken from brine and place into buttermilk, allowing any excess buttermilk to drip off. Transfer into dredging mixture, pressing firmly into dredge. Flip and repeat, shaking off any excess flour. Be sure to coat chicken in flour just before it is ready to fry.
- Then carefully add 2 chicken thighs to the oil and cook for 4-6 minutes, depending on size. Transfer to a paper towel lined sheet tray and salt assertively. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Place 2 waffles per plate and smear with a bit of butter, if desired. Top with 2 pieces of chicken, maple syrup and hot sauce. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Tag %eitan% on Instagram!