On it’s own handmade gnocchi is great, but when the little pillows are doused in this browned butter sage sauce and topped with nutty, freshly grated parmesan cheese, it’s game over! This recipe serves four, but let’s be honest, I ate it all, and I’m sure you will too! Frying the boiled gnocchi in the browned butter gives them a seared exterior around the soft, pillowy interior. Sage adds a subtle yet essential floral note to the nutty browned butter that makes this seemingly simple sauce have an unforgettable flavor!
Pan-Seared Gnocchi with Browned Butter & Sage
- 1 recipe Handmade Potato Gnocchi
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 fresh sage leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Place the gnocchi into the boiling water. The gnocchi are done when they float to the top of the water pot, about 3 minutes.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter on a medium flame. Remove the cooked gnocchi from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and transfer it into the pan of melted butter along with the fresh sage leaves. Cook for a few minutes, flipping the gnocchi occasionally until the butter begins to brown, and the gnocchi gets crispy on the edges. Serve immediately topped with grated parmesan, salt, and freshly ground pepper.