On this episode of “Perfecting Pasta,” I’m cooking arguably the most famous Italian dish worldwide, spaghetti and tomato sauce! It is loved by many, for a good reason, due to its vibrant flavor and iconic twirl-able pasta shape. For my Handmade Spaghetti, I like to serve it with a simple tomato sauce, seasoned heavily with garlic, to let the flavor of the tomato shine. While I do love tomato sauces full of onions, carrot, celery, and even sometimes meat, but in this case, I like to keep it as minimalistic as possible. A pinch of red chili flakes goes a long way to beautifully contrast the sweet tomatoes.
Spaghetti With Garlicky Tomato Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- ¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes crushed slightly by hand
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leave or 2 leaves of basil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 recipe Handmade Spaghetti
- Optional: parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add in garlic and cook until the edges begin to brown. Add in the red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Pour in the whole peeled tomatoes.
- Add in the sugar, bay leaf or basil, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes.
- When the sauce is almost done cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the handmade spaghetti and cook for 2-3 minutes until al dente. Pour some of the sauce in a large bowl. Add the drained spaghetti into the bowl and use a tong to toss together the pasta and sauce. Serve immediately with grated parmesan cheese over top, if desired.