Today I am finally making Homemade Pita Bread on my YouTube channel with Red Star’s Platinum Yeast! After eating it literally every day in Israel I was set on learning how to make it at home. After I bunch of tries, I finally figure out the perfect technique to get the pocket inside of the pita! It’s a super fun recipe to make that also tastes amazing! Let’s just be clear…this isn’t “like” pita. This IS Pita! It’s that good!
Homemade Pita Bread
- 1 ½ cups water warm
- 1 packet Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, pour the water and sugar. Mix to dissolve the sugar then top with the Red Star Platinum Yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, until foamy. Add in the flour, salt, and olive oil. Once the dough comes together knead on a slow speed for 5 minutes. Remove from the mixer, top with a drizzle of olive oil, cover with a linen towel. Place the bowl in a warm spot and allow to rise for an hour, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees Fahrenheit with a pizza stone on the top rack. Once at temperature, turn on the broil setting.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls. Roll each in to a 7 inch disk. Transfer one at a time into oven on a pizza stone. Right before closing oven pour a cup of water on the bottom of the oven.
- Bake for 2 minutes until the pita puffs up and begins to brown.