Today we are making the most creamy and delicious mac & cheese recipe EVER! I elevated the typical mac and cheese by adding in some chipotles in adobo for an extra smokiness and spice. It’s all topped off with a crunchy topping for a satisfying crunch in every bite!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 stick butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, about a minute less than the recommended cooking time on the package.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, melt the butter then add in flour. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until it turns to a light tan color. Add in the milk and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, remove about ½ cup of the milk and pour it into a small bowl with the egg and mix quickly to temper the eggs. Once fully combined, add the mixture to the pot stir immediately until fully combined.
- Add in the cheddar cheese, sugar, salt, pepper, adobo sauce, and half the chopped chipotle and mix until combined. Add in the drained macaroni into the cheese mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into a 9x13 inch baking pan, spreading the macaroni and sauce mixture evenly. In a small bowl, toss together the parmesan, panko and the other half of the chopped chipotle, and sprinkle over the top of the macaroni. Bake until golden brown and bubbling on top, for about 25 minutes. Serve warm.