Believe it or not, the first time I eat kale was at my school’s cafeteria. I happen to have the world’s best school cafeteria so I felt adventurous, tried it, and instantly fell in love with this new leafy green. A few days later in my kitchen, I “Eitanized” it by adding in fried bread and allllllllll the grated parmesan cheese. By doing this, it makes this kale salad much more of a comfort food worth craving. If you have never tried kale either, I highly recommend starting with this recipe and you will love it too.
- 2 heads kale, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for frying
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 cups large french bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup parmesan, freshly grated
- In a large bowl, place the chopped kale, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, red chili flakes, kosher salt, and black pepper. Massage the ingredients into the kale for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender.
- In a large frying pan, heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil and fry and bread cubes, until golden brown. Place the fried bread cubes and parmesan cheese into the bowl of kale and mix until combined. Serve in a large bowl and enjoy!