Let’s talk Pavlovas. This is hands down my favorite dessert to eat on Passover and even year round! For those of you who have never had a pavlova, a pavlova is a large meringue that has whipped cream dolloped on top. It is typically finished off with some fresh fruit, but you can literally top it with anything. My favorite part of a pavlova is definitely the meringue. I just love the marshmallowy texture on the inside and the slightly crunchy outside. Yummmm! My mouth is watering just writing about this.
I am not 100% sure but, I think the first time I had a pavlova was at my friend Sam’s house. Sam’s mom makes a delicious Lemon Pavlova that she makes every time my family comes over, just for me. (Or that’s why I think she does!) I then started making my own version at my house it became a family favorite. After one bite, they will be your favorite too!
- 8 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 2 pints heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ lb strawberries, halved
- ¼ lb blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat together the egg whites and salt, until it forms soft peaks. Continue beating while slowly adding in the sugar and cornstarch, until it forms stiff peaks. Pour out equal amounts of meringue onto two parchment paper lined baking sheets and spread out the meringue until it’s 9 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 1 hour then open the door of the oven and turn it off. Leave the meringues in there for another 15 minutes then remove and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat together the cream, sugar, and vanilla for 5 minutes, until thickened. Once baked, carefully transfer one of the meringues onto a cake stand. Spoon half of the whipped cream on top and spread it around. Place the second meringue on top of the whipped cream. Then spoon on the rest of the whipped cream on top of the second meringue and spread it around on top.
- Make a shallow well on the top of the pavlova, to hold the fruit. Place the strawberries and blueberries in the well. Serve immediately.