Perfect for a lazy Sunday morning, Hash Browns is the ultimate crispy potato breakfast. You get all the delicious textures of potatoes, crispy on the outside and perfectly soft on the inside, in one giant pancake shape that’s a perfect vessel for holding all your favorite toppings. When I’m looking for a filling breakfast, I top mine with two fried eggs and some beef bacon. Just one bite of the crispy hash brown, savory beef bacon, and the runny egg yolk, and you’ll never want to go back to boring cereal and milk again.
To add an extra boost of flavor, I season my hash browns with some chaat masala, a traditional Indian spice mix, but if you don’t have that on hand, you can season with any of your favorite spices.
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chaat Masala (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 4 slices beef bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Using a hand grater or food processor with the grating blade, grate the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes into a large bowl and rinse with water until it runs clear, and all the starch has been washed off. Drain completely, then squeeze out all the express water with a towel until completely dry.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Add in the potatoes and press down with a spatula to form a large potato pancake. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the bottom is golden brown, then flip and repeat with the other side.
- While the hash browns are cooking, heat two tablespoons of oil in another pan and fry the eggs, sunny side up until cooked to your desired doneness. Remove from the pan and fry the beef bacon until crispy.
- Transfer the hash browns to a serving dish and top with the fried eggs, beef bacon, a sprinkle of red chili flakes, parsley, followed by salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.