I’m going way back to the first recipe I ever made when I was a kid. We’re talking back around 7 years ago when I just began cooking in the kitchen. Beans & Cheese was the first thing that really got me interested in the kitchen. It was a favorite in our house so it was dinner a few nights a week. I have tons of great memories of making this dish with our babysitter, Amie.
While it’s no longer a regular in our house anymore, we still make Beans & Cheese for dinner every once in a while. It’s a simple, yet delicious, recipe that takes no time to make. When I take a bite of the tortilla and taste the warm beans hit my mouth and I see the strings of cheese pulling from the tortilla, it takes me way back to my childhood. I wanted to share this food memory with you all and would love to hear your food memories as well!
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a small saucepan, heat the tomato sauce to a boil. Turn down the flame and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add in the cumin and chili powder, stir to combine. After a minute, add in the red kidney beans and stir until fully combined. Bring back to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Reduce the flame to low, while preparing the tortillas.
- In a small grill pan, melt a nob of butter to grease the pan. Place a corn tortilla in the pan and top with mozzarella cheese. Cover with a piece of tin foil. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until browned on the bottom and the cheese is fully melted on top. Transfer to a plate with a spatula and spoon the beans in the center. Serve immediately.