- 5 ripe but firm mangos
- 1 stick cinnamon, about 2 inches
- 4 whole cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 6 cardamom pods, cracked
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 whole dried red chili (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar or to taste
- Peel the skin the mango and cut the flesh into 1-inch cubes. Discard the seed.
- In a large pot place the mango, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, coriander, cardamom, water, ginger, and garlic. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar, dried red chilies, salt, and sugar. Broil to a boil then simmer for an additional 30-40 minutes, until the chutney is thickened. Using a small spoon, remove the cinnamon stick, cardamom, and cloves.
- Transfer to the mango chutney to a jar while it’s still hot. Let cool and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.