You all know I love anything and everything fried! A favorite of mine is definitely a nice falafel sandwich in a pita bread. I teamed up with Cedar Market & Shloimy’s Bakery for this Homemade Falafel Sandwich recipe, using their homemade pita. I am seriously a huge fan of their pita and always make sure to have some in the house. It’s super soft, baked fresh daily, and is the best thing to stuff with falafel or even just eat plain with some hummus! It is so yummy when stuffed with my homemade falafel, hummus, and Israeli salad!
- 3 cans chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ onion, quartered
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon zaatar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup all purpose flour, plus more for coating
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 package Cedar Market House-Made Pita
- ½ cup hummus
- 1 cup Israeli Salad
- Place the chickpeas, garlic, onion, parsley, cumin, coriander, zaatar, cayenne, salt, pepper, and baking soda into a food processor. Pulse until it is all broken down but down completely a paste. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the flour until fully combined. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large deep pot, pour in 3-4 inches of oil and heat on a high flame to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Scoop out heaping tablespoons of the falafel mixture and shape it into balls. Roll the balls in a bowl of some extra flour then place in the oil, a few at a time. Fry in batches, until nicely browned for about 5 minutes. Serve hot in a Cedar Market House-Made pita with some hummus and Israeli salad.