I present to you one of my all time favorite soups, Matzo Ball Tortilla Soup. I just love this soup. It takes two already amazing things and puts them together into one big bowl of comfort food. I had already been a fan of Tortilla Soup, so when Manischewitz asked me to develop some recipes for them I knew what I had to do. I made some matzo balls using Manischewitz’s amazing Matzo Ball Mix and added them into this already amazing soup recipe. It is literally an entire meal in a bowl. I made another awesome cooking video with this recipe. If you didn’t get a chance to view my first video with Manischewitz for homemade jelly donuts, check it out here.
For the Matza Ball Tortilla Soup Recipe video, click below.
This soup has become a regular in my house since it is so yummy and easy to pull together. It is now our go-to soup. I mean, what isn’t amazing about a super easy and quick “pantry dinner”. In case you don’t know what I mean, a “pantry dinner” is a meal where the majority of ingredients are canned or frozen food. My family is crazy about “pantry dinners” since you can have all the ingredients on hand waiting to be used. Just note that you don’t have to use a fresh rotisserie chicken. We have shredded leftover chicken and it worked equally as well. Enjoy making and eating this yummy soup on your next crazy school night.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili pepper
- 1 14-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cup black beans, drained
- 1 cup canned corn
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 Packet of Manischewitz Matzo Ball Mix
- Matzo Balls
- Corn Tortillas, cut into thin strips and fried
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for until the onion is translucent.
- Season with the salt, pepper, dried oregano, cumin and chili pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup ingredients until smooth.
- Add the black beans, corn and shredded chicken and let them come back to temperature before serving.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, oil, and cilantro.
- Add in the content of the Manischewitz Matzo Ball Mix and stir with a fork until evenly mixed.
- Set aside the bowl, in the fridge.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Take small pieces of the dough and roll them into 1 inch balls and place them in the boiling water.
- Boil the matzo balls for 15 minutes.
- Serve the soup in bowls and top with a few matzo balls, avocado, cilantro and crisp tortilla strips.
- Don't add the matzo balls until right before serving!
*This post was sponsored by Manischewitz. All words and ideas are my own. Thanks for supporting my sponsors!*